Friday, July 2, 2010

Lunch with Mrs. Secretary


Lil' Bit received this Hillary Clinton figurine as a gift from my brother-in-law.  The figurine is somewhat mannish, a thick neck and large beefy hands, which to be honest I found to be slightly offensive.  Why is it that culturally we tend to give powerful women masculine qualities?  

My daughter demanded that she wanted to nap with "Lady."  I had no idea what toy she was referring to, and when she fished out Hillary R. Clinton from her toy box I couldn't help but laugh.  Prior to actual sleep, the former FLOTUS took a nose dive through the railings of the crib, which resulted in Lil' Bit crying out for me to help rescue her.  I decided that it best for Lady not to take a nap, and told Lil' Bit she could have lunch with her later on.

The first word out of Lil' Bit's mouth upon awakening was "Lady?"  I handed her the Secretary of State and Lil' Bit held her close as we made our way down stairs for lunch.  The two gals dined on turkey sandwiches, carrot sticks and hummus, with a side of strawberries.  Lil' Bit gave Secretary Clinton a hummus facial, and a turkey body wrap.  It was a luncheon to be remembered by all.

The 4th of July is a celebration of our independence as a nation, and it spent honoring our forefathers that spurred our revolution...but I think we all need to also take time to celebrate our foremothers...the First Ladies of our nation.  

Martha Dandridge Curtis Washington
Abigail Smith Adams
Martha Wayles Skelton Jefferson
Dolley Payne Todd Madison
Elizabeth Kortright Monroe

If you would like to learn more about the lives of these strong women of our nation check out
this website...http://www.whitehouse.gov/about/first-ladies

Have a great holiday weekend!



1 comment:

Marcy Gordon said...

This is hilarious! I want a hummus facial and a turkey body wrap.