Thursday, March 17, 2011

Taking Stock



Whew.  I missed you all last week, but it was one of those weeks where I blinked and it was Sunday.  I wrapped up cooking all sorts of wonderful soups for my mom, each of which contained the glorious golden broth of the above chicken stock.  Ina Garten's recipe, this stock was so chock full of gelatin that when refrigerated it turned to jelly.  I left my mom in good spirits, with good food to help nourish her back to good health, in good company, and in good weather.

Spring has arrived in its beautiful shades of green and pops of pink and yellow.  Spring and Fall are my favorite seasons, because they are seasons of transition.  The air is seems to carry less weight, as if the all the life that is coming or going boosts the oxygen content, lightening the load of the dead of winter or in the case of fall, the slog of the dog days of summer.  Spring sneaks up on you, she plays peak-a-boo for a few weeks with her bulbs and blades, and then Bam!  She is arrives, quivering with the shimmering youth of baby leaves and bursting buds.

Speaking of shimmering youth, The Sprout turns one today...our little lucky charm. We threw a fish fry for our small frye last Saturday, a whirlwind of seafood, picnic salads, and little toddlers teetering about.


And of course cupcakes.  Lovely cupcakes from a new cupcakery that has just opened here.  I would have normally baked them myself, but given that I had 48 hours to put together a party for my little darling girl, I cut myself some slack.    Glad I did because the chef at Bliss did an exquisite job...don't you think?

This has been the fastest year of my life to date.  This Spring, more so than any other, I am feeling the winds of change...my 30th birthday 3 weeks ago probably has something to do with it.  This season of new life is a time to take stock and reflect on the end of the past year.  As we leave behind the droll days of winter, take a deep breath and hold in all the richness of birth Spring brings as she blooms and let it fill you with seeds of new beginnings.  We have a lot to learn from nature, and her annual process of death and rebirth.  She has an amazing capacity to let go and move on.  

This Saturday I am letting life go and getting my move on...in a little sun dress on a beach in the Caribbean!  Chef gave me the most fabulous birthday gift a gal could ask for...he rented a house in Tulum for a week for our little tribe of 4 and a handful of some of my dearest friends to share some time without a care in the world.

I am feeling more than a little lucky this St. Patty's Day!






No comments: